Found Land

We were with our crew member, right? The story continues!

As my eyes opened, I could feel myself drenched, and seaweed lingered in my boot. My life-long friend, William, choked out water and started screaming. A trout leaped inside his trousers, flopping for water. It bounded out, scurrying toward the shore. “Oh no you don’t,” I heard William mutter. He scrambled to his feet and wrestled for the fish. He gingerly held it in his hands, and announced, “I’ve got tonight’s meal!” The whole crew stayed silent for a moment, their mouths in wide O’s. Then suddenly, everyone started cracking up. “A trout in Willie’s pants! That’s a good laugh!” they bellowed, pointing their nasty fingers at William. William’s proud smile faltered. “I know it might’ve been funny to you, but without me, we wouldn’t have caught this big trout!” he tried to say over the laughter. He was right. The trout must’ve been as long as my arm!

The crew members’ laughter died down as Phineas Copre walked over. “What are you men doing?!” he barked, a stern look burning us down. The crew shrank under his glare. I was the only one looking up at Phineas, straight in the eyes. “Our ship has SUNK!” he hissed. Suddenly everyone became interested in their water-filled boots. “We have to camp out here,” he continued, “Because dusk is approaching.” 

Phineas ordered us, sending the crew off to do different chores. He sent me to collect wood, “with your bare hands,” he said. I walked away, and when Phineas was gone, I walked toward the shore. My feet dipped into the water, and I can feel the sunlight washing off into the sea. I could see the boiling afternoon sun, and I could see all the clouds disappearing into the blue sky. I watched as the crew laughed and teased, but I could see behind their facade. Their weariness stood out like a sore thumb. After all, we had been sailing for 39 days.

Light footsteps treaded towards me, and I could hear the sand dragging. I jerked and turned around, but it was just William. “Hey,” he said, standing over me. “Pondering again?” I shrugged. “Yeah, kind of.” William shook his head. “You know, you’re slacking, you’re lazy, and you’re not helping…” I looked down, embarrassed. “Can I join you?” he said, grinning. I laughed and patted the sand. Before William could say a word though, a loud boom shook the island.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open Me📬: New Blog!

Luiaard's Crits #3: Who's the Boss?